Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wednesday Night Update

Our little rockstar is practically breathing on his own. He is still vented but during the whining process he has shown great progress, they have turned it down and he is doing well. The plan is to start whining in the early morning hours. Whining consists of turning it all the way down, allowing him to breath on his own for an hour, should he skip a couple of breaths or not respond very well anytime during that hour, the machine will take over or fill in the gaps for him.  All goes well, he will be extubated tomorrow, FINGERS CROSSED. 

He is moving quite a bit, which is good and scary at the same time. Man oh man we don't need him to knock out the tube. His arms are restrained a little to try to keep that from happening. He responds very well to us when we are talking and touching him, so it's best that we back off a little bit. He just moves to much.  A few times we saw him tonight it looked as though he had tears pooling in the corner of his eyes. Ofcourse they were closed but it was so sad. Sometimes he whinces an a tear look alike comes out. They are trying to reasure me that it's not tears but drainage. I sure hope its not, that simply breaks our heart to think of such a thing as him being in pain an not being able to let us know or respond. :( I guess his stats would indicates some discomfort.

Doctors rounds are between 7 and 9am each morning so we will have more updates after them.
Thank you to all of you for your concerns and your prayers!

Please continue to pray for his recovery but also please extend a prayer to all of the children an families in that ward.  There is so much hurt and sorrow walking those halls it can be so depressing and it sometimes make us feel guilty for having a happy moment while so many are hurting at that very same moment. 


Mom on a Line said...

When Izzy had her second surgery at 13 months, one of the hardest things was being told we couldn't talk or anything near her because she would wake up to our voice and fight the vent. She was on it for a week, off a couple of days, and then back on it. I remember so clearly. I feel for you. Keeping you all close in thought and hoping Gavin is extubated real soon.

Megan said...

Awe, this is great news Esther, I am so glad to hear! I will look for your update later today : )

Funny you mentioned the other families.. I have been doing just that. I was SO TOUCHED by my time there on Tuesday, I just couldn't get over seeing everything that I saw. This little tiny babies, little children... my heart BREAKS for all of them!!!!

I am keeping all of you in my prayers - praying for God's healing hand. That U of M is a special place, I just felt this amazing presence while I was there....